Friday, July 11, 2008

Ella's First Breath

Ella Grace Johnson 7lbs 6oz 21 inches long Born at 11:42am on the 4th of July! Ella decided that she was going to arrive a little early and give her mom the best 30th birthday present she could ever ask for! July 3rd I became extremely sick with severe chest and back pain and knew something was wrong. When we arrived at the hospital at 2:00am July 4th after being monitored for a few hours and having contractions a minute apart I was told that I would be induced because I had developed HELLP Syndrome . HELLP Syndrome is a life-threatening obsteric complication considered by many to be a variant of pre-eclampsia. A syndrome featuring a combination of "H" for hemolysis (the breakdown of red blood cells), "EL" for elevated liver enzymes, and "LP" for low platelet count (an essential blood clotting element). At 11:00am I was told that my platelet count was dropping dramatically and my liver was beginning to shut down and that I would have to have an emergency c-section. Within minutes I was in the operating room and meeting my beautiful baby girl!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Ella,
Your birth story is quite amazing! We are looking forward to checking your blog and watching you grow.
Can't wait to meet you. Say hi to your mommy and daddy.

Hugs,
The 4 Currans